0985.13.1775, Obv, Pre

Flag Before Conservation.  Courtesy of the Museum of the Confederacy, Katherine Wetzel, photographer

Flag After Conservation. Located in the Appomattox Branch, American Civil War Museum.

 

In 2012, the Fincastle Chapter 797 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy undertook sponsorship of the fundraising efforts to conserve the Botetourt Dragoons battle flag, which is located in the collections of the American Civil War Museum in Richmond. The Ladies of Botetourt presented the flag to the Dragoons unit on May 17, 1861 as they marched out of Fincastle. In 1907, Rufus H. Peck, Fincastle native and Dragoon veteran, donated the flag to the Museum of the Confederacy.  In June 2011, The Fincastle Chapter became aware of the condition of the flag through an article published in the Fincastle Herald by Edwin McCoy.

As the Sesquicentennial observance of the war drew to an end, the necessary funds had been secured and the conserved flag was unveiled at a ceremony at the Appomattox Branch of the Museum of the Confederacy. S. Waite Rawls III, President of the ACWM Foundation, and Cathy Wright, Curator, presided over the unveiling. Members of the Fincastle Chapter, donors to the flag fund, and members of the Peck family were on hand to see the flag unveiled for the first time. Textile Preservation Associates, Inc. of Ranson, West Virginia, completed the detailed conservation work on both sides of the flag.

You can also see a zoomable image of the flag at the Encyclopedia Virginia (Virginia Foundation for Humanities) here.

 

Reverse of Botetourt Dragoons flag showing famous words of Patrick Henry

 

 

Leave a Reply